Friday, April 12, 2013

Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Title: The Darkest Minds
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Pages: 496
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Published: December 18th, 2012
Buy: Amazon
"I had the strangest feeling-like I had lost something without ever really having it in the first place-that I wasn't what I once was, and wasn't all that I was meant to be. The sensation made me feel hollow down to my bones"
There are very few books that I have read that make me feel such a strong array of emotions like The Darkest Minds did. Alexandra Bracken set the stage for her trilogy in the perfect way. This book is every shade of dark as it is light, Bracken laces the pages with such an in depth, imaginative and innovative perspective that I could not put this book down.

This book takes place in what is best described as an American "post apocalyptic" setting, where a disease has killed off almost all of the children, the ones that do survive have developed powers and abilities that they can't control. The main character, Ruby, and all of the other survivors are sent to government run 'rehabilitation' camps where they are brutally mistreated and brainwashed. The book follows the journey of Ruby and the friends she meets along the way as they escape their camps and try to seek refuge in East River, home of the slip kid, who may be the only person who can help them.

Something that I definitely appreciated about this book was the a-typical approach to the romantic center piece in the story; Ruby and Liam. Bracken took an approach unlike any author/book I've read, waiting until a little over 100 pages in to introduce Liam, and taking the time to build upon the relationship he and Ruby were building. Many YA books take a more 'wam bam thank you ma'am' approach and waste no time getting the romance going. Bracken's advent was different but was a welcomed change in my book. In my opinion it didn't take away from the validity or addictive qualities that novel romances have. I was in love with Ruby and Liam as a couple but was finally given a chance to love them as individual characters.

Overall, I give this book a 5/5 stars. I don't know what else I can say about it, the character development was on point, the setting and pace of the novel were above average and flowed together perfectly. I am eagerly and desperately anticipating the second book in this trilogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment