Sunday, April 21, 2013

A quick take on Annexed

Hey people,

I recently finished Annexed by Sharon Dogar, so I wanted to share a few thoughts.



Annexed is a fictionalized story about Peter Van Pels, "suggested from real life events" as written in Anne Frank's diary, which she kept during the two years she and her family spent hiding from Nazi's in Germany. If you don't know the story of Anne Frank, you can read some about her here, and I highly suggest you read The Diary of Anne Frank

ANYWAY.

I still can't place my feelings for this novel. Obviously it's fiction, so it was a little jarring to hear a character talking to Anne and know that it was Anne Frank. The cover touts it as a love story, but that ends up kind of being secondary to the story which is mostly Peter talking about his wishes for freedom, understandably. 

This book just didn't leave me with a feeling of knowing someone and having my eyes opened to a part of history like reading Anne's diary did. And again, that could be because it was fiction, but I just expected more from this book when deciding to read it.

At the end of the book, the author gives a true account of what happened to everyone in real life after the family was found hiding in the secret annex, which affected me more than anything in the book. I guess if you're truly curious I would suggest this book, otherwise pick up a copy of The Diary of Anne Frank and you can hear about Peter in Anne's own words.

Happy Sunday night!

-Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment